Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sad News

Now that finals are over, and its vacation, I'll get back to posting.
My cameras- both the small digicam and my DSLR - have been stolen. The CIDU (Criminal Investigation Detection Unit) are investigating, and so far they've been incredibly helpful though the thief has yet to be found. For the last two training days of the year, I borrowed Ryan Arana's camera. He's the new Corps Commander. Those two days were the Change of Command, 2011, and the second part of RAATI (the annual competition and grading of the various ROTC units across the Philippines). Pretty big events. And sadly, it feels really different to be using someone else's camera instead of my own.


Regarding the theft of my cameras:

I stayed at 91 Xavierville Avenue, Nueve Uno Building dormitory from December 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011, in a room for two but without a roommate for all but a single day of my stay there.
On March 1, 2011, at about 9-10am, Ms. Sylvia 'Biang' Cruz allowed a woman named 'Marge Balmaceda' and a maid into my room at Nueve Uno Bldg without my knowledge (she says she sent a text to what was then my broken cellphone number). 'Marge' was supposed to be my new roommate, and had paid in a check that day. The check had not yet cleared. Two hours later, the maid left my room and shortly after that 'Marge' left the building with a paper bag 'full of clothes'.

When I returned to my room, my locked cashbox inside a locked drawer had been pried open, and all my cash and even coins were missing. Also taken were my Blackberry handset and two Olympus digital cameras - one digicam and one DSLR, in total estimated worth about $1,000 USD.

Ms. Biang Cruz was initially very unaccomodating, going so far as to wipe the fingerprints off my cashbox while enlightening me on the corrupt and inefficient practices of police and barangay officers regarding thefts.
When a very helpful team of investigators and SOCO (Scene of the Crime Operatives - think Philippine CSI) showed up,  she then proceeded to insist in every way that the theft was not her fault. She blamed me for being unkind to the guards (as though a lack of communication justifies theft), she blamed the guards for not doing their job properly (but isn't it her job to tell them what she needs them to do?), she even tried to force the police to go away, but thankfully they don't need bribes to do their work.

On the lit signboard in front of the building, Nueve Uno Building is advertised as a place 'where comfort and security meet'. I assure you, you will find neither there.
Conveniently for someone, the CCTV has yet to be set up, the bag check is like what you'd expect at a mall, and the list of appliances and serial numbers provided to Mam and the guard to prevent theft of one's appliances is clearly not used.  Ms. Biang failed to clear the check or even get a copy of 'Marge's ID before allowing her unattended into my room.
When you get a room at Nueve Uno Bldg, Ms. Biang will assure you three times over that there are only TWO keys to your room - the key she gives you and the key she keeps. None of her maintenance, staff, guards, or anyone else has a spare key into the room, and it is up to you to make youself a spare key as well. She will promise you that nobody will be allowed into your room unattended, that when she shows your room to prospective new roomates, she will be there to keep an eye on things too. She restricts friends or relatives from going upstairs unless its on the day you're looking around or moving in. Heck, the friends who came to help me move out weren't even allowed to go up to my room with me, and after two small boxes, the maintenance staff just stood around downstairs. Ironically, the new guard opened every single suitcase and box in the lobby in an attempt to inspect that resulted in a mess that even the TSA wouldn' make! He literally used to be the janitor.
Her explanation for the restrictions was that she'd made sure to learn all the various methods used for thefts in dormitories, and this was her solution to them. Riiight. And regarding my lost items, Ms. Biang happily cited a part of the contract that states she is not liable in any way, for any loss or damages.


Oh, and the M.O. the thief used - to pay in a check that will bounce so they can get in to steal stuff- is commonly used, according to the police.
And when the cash box was dusted for prints, all that showed up were the long, streaking smears courtesy of Ms. Sylvia 'Biang' Cruz.

I don't know who to blame more - the fake roommate or her. Who knows? Maybe they work together.


---
MEANWHILE
I'm looking for a SAFER, MORE SECURE place to live for next year. And saving up for a new DSLR. My dad said he might buy me a new one when I graduate - in 2013.
And I'm reading up on photography. Haven't taken a class for it since 2001 and that was with black and white film. If I'm going to save up for a DSLR, I better know how to make the most use of it this time around.

Until then, this blog won't be lacking in material - I've still got all the loads of pictures I took over the past year to sift through.

Next:
The Tale of the Creepy Taho Vendor!

What is this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment