Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Storm, day Two

This is the rain that started at 3pm and lasted for two hours. It was stronger than the rain yesterday, a lot stronger. Throughout yesterday's hours of rain, I could still see most of the city outside my window. Kanina... I couldn't. And as the storm left, there was frost on my window. Friends taking shelter here said the cold outside was just a shade warmer than the fridge. Power is still on here, but we cooked all the spoilables yesterday just in case.

Its the second day of a super-powered monsoon storm. The rains yesterday exceeded that of Ondoy in 22 hours, and the flooding is pretty bad. Strangely, this is no typhoon. Its monsoon rains 'amplified' by a large typhoon that is outside of our range. So we have none of the winds. Just constant, pouring, heavy rain.

I know people whose homes are in easily flooded areas, and I know people who are probably out in those areas right now, risking life and limb to rescue all the stranded.

The rain this afternoon was a surprise as the morning was relatively rain-free, though grey. And considering how this has worsened flooding, I find it unlikely to hear from my friends who are out there in this danger. Or who wait for word from their families, or who seek a chance to go home.

And... I'll just make way now so my friends here can post and repost emergency data.

No comments:

Post a Comment